Skip to content

TNP Desktop Software

62 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

You can create a map containing any layer (including polygons) and Export it as a .TIF (or .JPG, or .PDF) by opening the File menu and choosing Print/Publish Maps.

That said, if you are looking to export the polygon as a GPX, KML/KMZ, Shapefile, or similar format, that is a different matter (and would be a different feature to request,)

2. Please make USGS quadrangle grid lines available as an overlay - for topo or any other format

Quadrangle grid outlines aren't always self-evident even on USGS topo maps. Since my projects are constrained by these grid lines, it's important for me to readily see this grid regardless of the map format I'm in. It should be an overlay. I just spent an inordinate amount of time forcing the grid over my mapping area via point-to-point line drawing. It was t-o-r-t-u-r-e. Given these lines are readily available, this should be an easy thing to do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you need a layer that indicates boundary of the USGS topographic maps, set a custom grid (File, Preferences, Custom Grid) to have coordinate spacing of 0deg, 7min, 30 seconds. Then enable Custom Grid in View, Layer Size/Visibility. Note also that the current quad name is displayed in the TNP titlebar.

This also has the advantage of being visible, regardless of scale and map type.

3. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Scroll Bars

Although while navigating around a map, dragging the little "hand" is usually sufficient, it would be great if one could move along the cardinal directions (N-S-E-W) by use of scroll bars. If one is extremely space conscious or doesn't ever need scroll bars, make it a preference that could be turned on or off

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Compass Control Bar (on the left side of the map window) is not just a pretty decoration – it is live and active. Press the North arrow to pan the map North, South arrow to pan South, etc.

Also, use the Page Up and Page Down keys to pan the map North and South. Shift+Page Up/Down pans East and West.

5. I am still downloading Oregon Aerials. I am on my 6 hour of downloading from the internet (with a 18Mbps connection). It would be very help

I am still downloading Oregon Aerials. I am on my 6th hour of downloading from the internet (with a 18Mbps connection). It would be very helpful, in future versions of TNP if there was an indicator of progress in the Downloading from the internet pop up window such as: downloading 13 of 2066 files --- downloading 266 of 2066 files etc.

It would also be very helpful if there was a way to get the aerials via DVD or SD card or USB so they load to a local drive much faster than occurs by downloading over the internet?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make TNP more MS Office (or similar products) more import/export friendly

Make the export/import of markers more friendly to Excel, Access or similar applications. It takes too much formatting, file renaming etc. when this work could probably be done "behind the scenes" in letting TNP make the export files directly compatible and to import same files from other applications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  7. Make it clear that in many cases, the parcel data in your $99 state packages is extremely dated.

Just purchased the Oregon parcel package and when working with it for a few days, found that the data was current only through 2011. When I looked at it on the website, indicated it was coverage updated through 2015. My bad for not realizing that meant what it said - coverage, not data - and that by clicking on a state you will get the last update for the data. But I think you should make it more upfront on how to access this information. Probably would not have purchased had I known this upfront.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

The Parcel Data purchase page indicates the approximate currency of the data. We may make this more prominent. Regardless, we receive and post data updates bi-annually. We have no way of predicting how long the various municipalities will update the ownership information, and when such updates will get processed by the data provider.

That said, most data is very current – and was updated within the last 2-3 years.

8. Overlay semi-transparent quad with data onto a TNP map.

I work with the Oregon-Califonria Trails Association. I have scanned quads of the Gold Rush emigrant trails. If we could overlay a semi-transparent quad onto a TNP map and match the contour lines, we could transfer the data into TNP. Can an image file be an overlay and be maniuplated?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Opacity to Polygon settings

This is somewhat doable with Patterns, there being a series of patterns that range from essentially low coverage/clear to high coverage/solid. What would be ideal, however, is an Opacity option of the desired pattern. For instance:

Fill Properties (of a Polygon):
    Pattern: Solid
    Color: Red
    Opacity: 50%
    Background color: Transparent

Application of this would be for a visual presentation of Probability of Area, how likely it is for the search subject to be in that area. Would be able to set some Polygons (acting as search segment boundaries) as 90%, some at 75%, some down at 50%, and barely visible…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Better road file

The Tom Tom version of roads is terrible. Surely there is a better road file out there. Try garmin

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Give us the latest USGS traditional, hand drawn maps, instead of maps that are 50 years old

Give us the latest USGS traditional, hand drawn maps, instead of maps that are 50 years old

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The USGS has discontinued the practice of creating and updating hand drawn maps. In some rare cases, TNP may not have the final edition of a specific map. In other cases, the Alternate Edition (shaded relief) edition will be more current. For details, please see:
    http://tnp.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/493415

That said, we are reworking the entire mapping engine in TNP to support a wider variety of maps. Look for this update in the coming months.

12. Magnetic Declination update with new World Magnetic Model

Will the magnetic declination calculation be updated with the revised 2015 World Magnetic Model available at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/WMM/DoDWMM.shtml ?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Error message: Map file is corrupt, cannot load.

I'm printing a 68"x68" map using TNP 10.2. Resolution is 50 dpi. I first start off with map type at 1:24k topo and it rendered on the screen. Then I switch to a map type of 1:12k and it too rendered on the screen. Next I kept the map type at 1:12k and switch scale to 1:24k. That also rendered on screen. I then switch scale to 1:48k and got the error message. Attached are screen captures when the error was received and what it looked like after I clicked OK in the error message box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support Michigan GeoRef coordinate system

The State of Michigan distributes their spatial data using the Michigan GeoRef coordinate system. It would be very helpful to be able to view the many publicly-available shape files from the Michigan Center for Geographic Information as a layer in TNP. Presently, TNP does not support Michigan GeoRef coordinates, which makes these files incompatible with TNP.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  16. 100 meter USNG grid squares

We would love to display 100 meter grid squares while using USNG or MGRS. My understanding is you can currently only see the 1 km squares.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow setting of Grid colors

Right now the custom grid is black (on topo maps) or white (on aerial photos.) Please allow me pick these color myself. It would be great if I could also change the colors of TSR/PLSS grids from red/green to what I prefer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to download documents from desktop to mobile app

This would be very useful for daily briefings for ICS especially if ICS 204s could be linked to a polygon.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. valid password

when creating a new TNP 10 account you are asked to create a password. I was told that the first one I created was invalid but there was no info on what constituted a valid password. I took a guess and got one to work but you might spare other users some confusion by specifying exactly what you require.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  20. Add public and private land overlay

I would like to see a way to show various forms of public/private land on my map display on the TNP desktop.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

TNP Desktop Software

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base