Skip to content

TNP Desktop Software

16 results found

1. Offer a simple, basic and less expensive version.

I used your product way back when it was Map Tech. Enjoyed and utilized it immensely. Then it started becoming more complicated. Features became more complex and consequently less intuitive, i.e. harder to use. Terrain Navigator became "Pro" and now it is described as a premium application. I suppose if I were in real estate, construction, or forestry business I would be apt to need, and actually use, some of the highly touted (but ultimately expensive) features. As a hiker, hunter, and fisherman, all I want is a topo application where I can upload gps data, measure distances, figure elevation…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sadly, the economics of producing a low-cost PC desktop software product are not favorable. Maptech ultimately dissolved over ten years ago, in part due to attempting to offer a low-priced product. Under MyTopo’s ownership the recreational ‘standard edition’ was briefly revived; but was later discontinued. Finally, the current owner of Terrain Navigator, Trimble, closed its recreational/consumer division Trimble Outdoors in early 2016. We’ve tried three times to make the economics of a low-cost product work, and have no plans to try it a fourth time.

2. TNP App for Windows phone

Provide a TNP App for Windows phone

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. Easily create shaded areas with different paterns.

For SAR planning in identifying areas and segments that have been searched. Could have multiple layers of paterns covering the same areas or segments to indicate different types of searches within.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. To export tiif images w/ a user-defined area, the registration is poor, particularly between adjacacent images.

This can easily be tested by aligning several images. Pl;ease fix this, it has been a problem for years now. We are talking about errors of 50 feet or better between images (Texas).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. Labels do not transfer to print screen at correct size.

Label borders and text inside do not transfer correctly to print screen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Labels should retain their approximate size when printing, so long as:
    1. The map scale in the main map window matches the map scale in the Print window. (You can type any scale you wish in either window.)

2. In Layer Size/Visibility, the sizing slider is in the center position.

3. In Layer Size/Visibility, the option to Conform layer size to Map Scale is turned off.

4. Also the Print window, the sizing slider is in the center position and Conform layer size to map scale is turned off.

This should produce the expected results in most cases. However, due to the method Windows uses to render fonts on the screen vs. on a printer, the label may need to be slightly oversized to avoid text wrapping unexpectedly.

8. Improve correlation between TNP and Google Earth

When viewing Google Earth as the selected map, markers and drawing tool assets do not transfer to the image.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If a valid link between TNP and Google Earth exists, NEWLY created makers, routes, and tracks will be sent automatically to Google Earth for display. If it is desired to view an existing marker, route, or track in the Google Earth window, right click it (in the TNP window) and choose Send to Google Earth.

It is not possible to automate this process any further, due to the nature of the link between TNP and Google Earth, and the licensing required by Google.

9. Show distance and/or bearings on maps when using distance tool

When mapping legals, it would be convenient to be able to be able to toggle a preference to display the distance and/or bearing for a printable or exportable map. Currently you have to create a comment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Put it back the way it was

I have used versions of TNP since 2002 for SAR and Emergency response. The new changes which make it rely on high speed internet have really made this program less than useful. Map packs are not the answer because we don't know where our next incident will be until it happens. We need to be able to access maps and air photos without internet access, and without pre-work such as creating map packs. If the program won't run without internet, then none of the other features matter.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
  11. Remove Circle when entering GPS Cooridinates

When entering GPS Cooridinates the system puts a circle that you have to move around in to find the location. This is time consuming. The system should put a Geo Pin in the location and not have to search in a circle. It also puts a blue circle with a ? in place of the Geo Pin. We need the pin not a blue circle

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Open Maps Screen

Please return to the Open Maps Screen from TNP 10. The updated Open Maps Screen in TNP 11 is useless. An aerial photo of my state and surrounding states with no delineation, highways or county lines is nearly impossible to start navigation. I enjoyed the old Open Maps Screen because you could click on a quadrant in a county and it would take you right where you need to go. Now i have to guess where to start, zoom in and wait for TNP to catch up. Its inefficient and difficult to use; more time in the office messing with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Due to our need to provide maps beyond the USGS grid model, the “Open Map” window had to be retired.

That said, there are far easier (and efficient) ways to select maps (and set specific starting locations) in TNP 11. For details, please see: https://tnp.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1110553

Finally, when scaled out, the USGS, Terrain, and Street map types will all show various features/boundaries/roadways. These maps are far superior than the simple “county map” that was present in the prior version of TNP.

13. Ability to hide parts of a track. One click at a time. Hide those long straight lines back to someone's home.

Ability to hide parts of a track. One click at a time. Hide those long straight lines back to someone's home.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Tag track name with imported file folder name

When I import a track from my gps file, the imported tracks are given an "ACTIVE LOG" number, which has no meaning to me------just seems like a bunch of random numbers. It would be useful to have the imported file name attached to each track. That way I would not have to rename all of the tracks that were imported.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

By Garmin’s design, the eTrex Venture does not support “Custom Maps”. This is not something that we can address in TNP – unless Garmin chooses to open up their proprietary map format. Considering that Garmin now includes Custom Map support in most of its current GPSs, I think that is unlikely.

For a detailed list of GPSs supported by TNP, please see:
    http://tnp.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/172092

For instructions and note regarding Custom Map compatible GPSs, please see:
    http://tnp.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/172080

16. automatically zoom to imported data extents

option (in preferences) to automatically zoom to imported data extents on import of tpa/txf/mxf (or restore of tpa)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

TNP Desktop Software

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base